How do I receive a LU-Card?
Follow these steps and receive a LU-Card.
- Step 1. Determine category
- Step 2. Check address
- Step 3. Find a suitable photo
- Step 4. Upload your photo
- Step 5. Receive your LU-Card
- Step 6. Activate your LU-Card
Student, employee or alumnus (graduated from August 31, 2006)
If you are applying for a LU-Card for the first time, continue to step 2.
If you already have a LU-Card, go to a LU-Card Helpdesk to unlock your old LU-Card or to have a new LU-Card made. Replacing your LU-Card might be charged.
Contract and à la carte students: continue to step 2 and follow the procedure as if you are a student
PhDs: continue to step 2 and follow the procedure as if you are an employee
Alumni (graduated before August 31, 2006): go the University Library
Members of the Leiden University Libraries: go the University Library
Employees of the LUMC: go to the Walaeus Library (LUMC)
Visitors and externals: go to a service desk or your contact person
The university sends your LU-Card to your registered address. Is your address still correct? If not:
- students: go to Studielink
- Contract, HOVO and à la carte students: go to your student administration department
- alumni: go to the Student Information Desk
- employees: go to your Personnel and Administration Department
- PhDs: go to your Personnel and Administration Department or contact person
continue to step 3 the day after applying the change to your address.
A photo on the LU-Card must meet the following requirements:
A JPG, BMP, GIF or PNG file
Maximum file size 2 MB
At least 300 x 400 (width x height) pixels in size
Your head should take up 70 to 80% of the image
Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera with both eyes open
The photo should be in sharp focus and should contain enough colour contrast
A plain and light background
Tip: use the photo of your passport as an example.
Find a personal digital photo and continue to the next step.
Did you not find any? Students and alumni can have their digital photo taken (free of charge) at the Plexus Student Centre. Employees can report to any of the LU-Card Helpdesks.
Upload the digital photograph found:
- Go to uPrefs
- Sign in with your ULCN account information
(Forgotten your password or not received your account details?)
- Click on the menu under "Personal Data" on "Enter / Change"
- Click on the icon in the table after "Passport Photograph"
- Follow the steps to upload your photo
You will receive your LU-Card at your registered address within 10 days after uploading your photo. The LU-Cards of students with a foreign address are available at the Plexus Student Centre one week after uploading the photo. Please bring a valid identification.
LU-Card requested but not received? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your account name or student or staff number.
Go to a LU-Card Helpdesk for verification and activation of your LU-Card. Please bring a valid identification.