Account Self Service
Activate and maintain your ULCN-account
- Activate account
- Change password
- Update profile
- Setup security responses
- Reset password
- Request username
With the application Account Self Service you activate your ULCN account and change your password. If you have forgotten your password or your password has been expired you can set a new password without the intervention of a helpdesk. To do this, you must first update your profile and setup your security responses.
You obtain an ULCN account only after you are registered by an administration. After registration you will receive your account details by email or letter. Depending on your registration you must first activate your account. If you already have received your password, you do not need to activate your account.
You need to activate your username which you have received by email or letter. Did not receive your username? Request your username.
During the activation of your account you must set the following data:
- an external mail address
- a mobile number (not required)
- some security responses
- a password
The external mail address, mobile number and security responses are used only for Account Self Service and will not be provisioned to other applications. Only with this data you can maintain access to your account without the intervention of a helpdesk if you forget your password or your password has been expired.
During the activation process you will receive a security code by email or sms. The system indicates where and when your need to enter this code. After setting your password your account is ready for further use.
With Account Self Service you maintain your password. A password expires after 182 days. Follow the procedure below:
- Close all applications where you are logged in. Also close all Citrix applications (remote work stations, such as Word and Outlook).
- Change your password via Account Self Service. Forgotten your password?
- Fill in your new password on your laptop, telephone and tablet.
The criteria for a password are:
- A minimum of 8 characters.
- A maximum of 13 characters.
- At least 1 number.
- At least 1 lower case letter.
- At least 1 upper case letter.
- No diacritics (such as à and é).
- No spaces.
- No unicode characters (such as , . ; ' ").
- No first name or family name in the password.
- No 3 sequential characters from the user name, first name or family name.
In Account Self Service you can manage the following information:
- an external mail address
- a mobile number
The data are used only for Account Self Service and will not be provisioned to other applications. If you have forgotten your password or your password has been expired you can reset your password without the intervention of a helpdesk. For safety reasons there is a verification proces (authentication) in which you will receive a security code by email or sms. Because you have no longer access to your university mailbox (uMail or Outlook) the external mail address may not contain the value "leidenuniv.nl".
The external mail address and mobile number are in principle provided by the administration where you have been registered. If this information does not meet the requirements (for example, the email address contains the value leidenuniv.nl), you can update the value in Account Self Service. An updated value will not be communicated back to your administration department.
Your profile information shows (if applicable) your uMail address and how long your account remains valid.
The security responses are essential to reset your password without the intervention of a helpdesk in case you forget your password or your password has been expired. Setup the security responses before you forget your password or have it expired.
When you setup your security responses you have to make a selection from a list of questions and add directly answers to them. Because the answers to these questions provide access to your account, you need to give answers that are not easy to guess by others.
If you meet the following requirements you can reset your password without the intervention of a helpdesk:
- you have registered an extern mail address or mobile number
- you have setup your security responses
- you know the entered answers to these questions
After correctly answering the security questions you will receive a security code by email or sms. The system indicates where and when your need to enter this code. Finally you can set a new password. Advice: update your profile and setup your security responses.
If you can not or do not want to use Self Service you can request a new password online or contact a helpdesk. You will receive a new password in the following way:
- By post. A letter containing your account details will be sent only to the registered address. Sending the letter to another address is not allowed.
- By sms. A sms message containing your account details will be sent only to the registered mobile number. Sending this message to another number is not allowed.
- In person at a desk (except Central Helpdesk ISSC). After identification you will receive a letter with your account details.
Provided passwords need to be changed at the first use.
If you have registerd your external email address you can request your username without the intervention of a helpdesk.
If you do not want to or can not use Self Service please contact a helpdesk to request your username.